The Cedar Valley Jaycees are currently accepting applications for their 2017 annual scholarship. The deadline for all applications is May 1, 2017.
The Cedar Valley Jaycees offer a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating Waterloo-Cedar Falls area senior who will attend an Iowa college or university. The scholarship selection committee focuses primarily on community service and extracurricular activities. While we require a 2.5 GPA, we do not focus on that for selection process, which makes this scholarship ideal for the students who are very active in their community and schools, but may not be at the top of their class. We offer this scholarship to promote voluntarism and community service in our younger generations, and to foster an attitude of service that will grow into adulthood.
To be eligible you must:
- Be a senior at an accredited high school within the Waterloo or Cedar Falls Community School District, (Cedar Falls, Columbus, Don Bosco, East, Valley Lutheran, Waterloo Christian, West,) who will graduate in spring 2017.
- Live within the Waterloo or Cedar Falls Community School Tax District
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50 (4.0 scale).
- Plan to attend a two or four-year college or university in Iowa.
The scholarship will be:
- A one-time, $1,000 award.
- Automatically credited to the recipient’s tuition bill for fall 2017.
To apply you must:
- Complete the information section on the Scholarship Application.
- Submit an essay (no more than three pages, typed) about yourself. Make special note of your record of volunteer community service, future academic plans and career goals. Please note the essay is the primary basis for awarding the scholarship.
- Attach a copy of your high school transcript.
- Attach two letters of recommendation from school personnel (i.e. teacher, guidance counselor, principle, coach, etc) or civic leaders.
- Attach a copy of your resume.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria (listed in order of priority):
- Overall quality of scholarship essay
- Record of community service
- Academic achievement